Modern naturopathic medicine is a progressive therapeutic system which has its roots embedded in early Greek medical philosophy. Naturopathy is increasingly being recognised as a valuable and effective system for treating a variety of disorders.
Naturopathy encompasses a range of holistic therapies in order to ward off and combat disease. This includes cutting edge natural therapies such as herbal medicines, dietary supplements, stress management, diet plans, exercise management and other lifestyle changes. Case taking is very thorough as it views the patient as a complex interrelated being. The aim of all complementary therapists is to prevent disease and to restore health to its maximum capacity.
Naturopaths base their treatment plans on six timeless and fundamental principles:
- The healing power of nature
- Allowing for the body’s inherent wisdom to assist in healing itself
- Identify and Treat the Cause
- Look beyond manifesting symptoms and search for the underlying cause
- First Do No Harm
- A naturopath must employ the most suitable and least invasive and least toxic therapy available
- Doctor as Teacher
- Educate patients in order for them to achieve and maintain optimum health
- Treat the Whole Person
- View the patient as an integrated whole i.e. taking mind, body and spiritual dimensions into account
- A Naturopath focuses on maintenance of health and wellbeing